Wed Apr 21 AWST (about 2 months ago)
In your timezone (EDT): Tue Apr 20 8:00pm - Wed Apr 21 5:00am
Institute of Public Accountants Level 4
1008 Hay Street, Perth, WA 6000
In this one day seminar, you will hear from expert speakers in the fields of franchise and commercial lease law, cyber security & data protection, employment law and contract law.
Fundamentals of Contract Law
• Key concepts of Australian contract law to flag items that could be significant to you or your clients.
• How contracts are formed and why they are entered.
• The difference between key terms of contracts.
• How key terms of contracts could affect their obligations of performance under the contract.
• How contracts can come to end or be terminated.
Understanding Franchise Legislation and Occupancy Rights.
• The context in which franchise businesses locations and sites are established.
• Franchisor's End of Term Arrangements and Goodwill implications for the franchisee and their business.
• What are ‘occupancy rights’ for franchisee?
• Implications of Franchisor vs Lessor interests in a Franchisee business’ assets.
Understanding Commercial Leases
• Heads of Agreement vs. working with Letters of Intent.
• Practical insights on the various types of Rent Review methods.
• Recommended contemporary provisions to be sought in a Lease Agreement.
• Additional leasing considerations in the post-COVID 19 world.
• Dealing with Rent “Issues”.
• Securities and bonds.
Employment Law Fundamentals
• Overview of Australia’s employment legislation and regulators.
• Contractor vs Employee.
• The employment agreement.
• Modern Awards and the specific clauses you should watch out for.
• Workplace health and safety obligations.
• How to deal with discrimination, harassment & bullying allegations.
• Paying your employees correctly.
• Ending employment, performance management and the associated risks.
• Post-employment restraints and their enforceability.
Data Breaches Scheme and the Privacy Act
• what is the legislation.
• how is it applicable / so important to accountants and other professional services providers.
• reporting the breach and steps you will be required to take.
•Penalties for not reporting the breach.
• Tips to avoid future breaches and protecting your clients’ data.
Mr Tom Meagher
Ms Cinzia Donald
Ms Gemma Wheeler-Carver
Mr Blair Campbell