|Event Date||Mon Dec 13 EST (about 1 month ago)|
Dormant accounts are typically eclipsed by more pressing compliance matters until that one time a year comes when you are required to report this inactivity and transfer any assets to your state through the escheatment process. However, dormant accounts can present a significant risk to your institution and require increased monitoring and scrutiny.
In this banking webinar, we will provide best practices for managing unclaimed funds compliance program, including tips for dormant account due diligence. We will discuss procedures for communicating with accountholders through multiple methods to avoid their frustration and reputational risk to your institution and provide the steps to take to ensure fund are properly escheated to your state. You will also receive tips for proactively educating your accountholders to avoid dormancy status.
In addition, attendees will receive helpful tools you can utilize to facilitate your dormant, unclaimed funds and escheatment process, including a sample policy and sample operational forms. Please note this session provide an overview of the law and general best practices for managing your institution’s dormant and escheatment processes.
• Understanding your institution’s responsibilities under the Uniform Unclaimed Property Act
• Defining key terms of dormancy, unclaimed property, abandoned property and escheatment.
• Obtaining filing information from your state
• Documenting communication efforts with dormant accountholders
• Managing your dormant/unclaimed funds compliance program to avoid or prepare for a state audit.
• Reviewing fines and penalties for non-compliance.
Who Should Attend:
This informative branch webinar is designed for deposit operations staff, safe deposit box personnel, Compliance Officers, Internal Auditors, and anyone responsible for handling your institution’s dormant account and escheatment process.
Compliance Consultant, Brode Consulting