Fri Feb 11 PST (in 2 months)
In your timezone (EST): Fri Feb 11 11:00am - Fri Feb 11 8:00pm
The Conrad Prebys Performing Arts Center
7600 Fay Ave, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Will blockchain/token technologies upend everything we know about money and banking, trade, the global payments system, regulation, security, and privacy? How does crypto fit in? A panel of experts will go through today’s tokenized world (crypto currency, Bitcoin, stablecoins, central bank digital currencies, legal tender, anonymity, and investment markets) and debate the key issues: Are these all money? A payments system? A legal contracts-documentation system? A surveillance system? A way of tracking both goods and payments in the global supply chain? A speculative store of value competing with gold, art, and jewels?
Money in the Age of Crypto
• Are cryptocurrencies money? Can a decentralized cryptocurrency replace central banks and fiat money? What happens if a central bank gets into the crypto game, providing everyone with a central bank digital currency account?
• Are cryptocurrencies a cheaper, more efficient payment and record-keeping system? Will they replace today’s credit card and banking system payment giants?
• Are cryptocurrencies a new speculative asset class? Will they trade, settle, and be regulated like all the other asset classes?
Energy, the Environment, and the Economy: A World of Trade-offs
• The Physics of Energy and Work: a BTU is a Unit of Work You Don’t Have to Do
• How energy enabled the Industrial and Technology revolutions that lifted the human health and well-being between 20- to 30-fold
• Energy sources and uses today; forecasts for tomorrow
• Can we still grow? How to make trade-offs between the environment and our standard of living?
• A Case Study: Measuring the Environmental Footprint of an EV versus ICE Vehicle
• Accounting for all environmental costs, including production, propulsion, and disposal
• How and who makes the trade-offs in reliability, costs, time, pollution, and energy use
Patrick T. Harker
President and Chief Executive Officer, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia
Christopher J. Waller, Ph.D.
Member of the Board of Governors, Federal Reserve System
2022 Sponsors & Partners
• UC San Diego Rady School of Management
• Allianz Global Investors