Wed Jul 10 EAT - Fri Jul 12 EAT (over 2 years ago)
In your timezone (EDT): Wed Jul 10 1:00am - Fri Jul 12 10:00am
Achieng' Oneko Rd, Kisumu, Kenya
The 21st century provided Cooperative Movements with exciting and critical opportunities as the continent became the world’s second fastest – growing region. The last 1 ½ decades have proved that Africa can withstand global shifts and shocks; and continue the positive economic growth path. However, the threats of inequality are the greatest challenges to Africa’s initiatives for sustainable development as projected in African Union (AU) Agenda 2063.
As a user-oriented organization, the success of a cooperative relies heavily in its members. Besides members, board of directors of a cooperative must fulfill their responsibility efficiently and effectively in order to secure success. Cooperatives in Kenya are at cross roads due to stiff competition and challenges from other institutions and organizations that are also expanding and developing rapidly with increased opportunities in and outside the country. The issue of whether cooperatives are still relevant and can maintain their integrity and continue to develop at the same pace if not faster has been a bristly one.
Riding on the above, this seminar has been organized to bring together cooperative thought leaders and businesses for learning, debating and networking. Some of the topics of discussion will include:
• Governance Practices and Challenges by Cooperative Societies
• Cooperatives Societies in Community and National Development: Addressing the Saving Culture in Kenya
• Technology and Cooperatives – Assessing the Viability
• The Kenyan Government’s Policy and Programme on Cooperative Development as a Key Pillar of Social and Economic Development
• Is Regulation a Dividend or A Burden?
• The Place of Audit among Cooperative Societies
• Addressing Sustainability – The Shift from Financial Education to Financial Capability
• Member Mobilization, Branding and Marketing Initiatives
Finance Managers & Internal Auditors in SACCOs; Practicing Auditors, Accountants from SACCOs; Representatives of regulatory bodies (SASRA, CBK), Finance consultants and any persons seeking knowledge in SACCO financial reporting matters.